Fri, 12/17/2010 - 10:51 — M. Penny
This time of year we deck the halls, and adorn the tree, string-up the lights and hang the stockings by the chinmey with care. For cat lovers extra care with tinsel can prevent what we call a "string foreign body" emergency, or worse, disaster.
Generally, the culprit is a cat toy on a string, but during the holidays tinsel provides an extra danger. If a cat ingests a "string foreign body" it can damage the intestines to a fatal result, unless caught fast enough for surgery.
Your clue is violent vomiting. Now, coughing up a hairball is one thing, but if your feline is violently vomiting, particularly if their favorite toy all-of-a-sudden goes missing, pay immediate attention. Take your cat to an animal hospital without delay.
Better yet, be careful with your tinsel, and after hanging it, make sure you clean up any extra. Of course, nowhere does it say that tinsel is mandatory. In any case there's no need to worry, just something to know.
It's like holly or mistletoe; if you like to decorate with holly or mistletoe, don't let your animal eat either one. Above the door? Fine. Where cats don't climb? Sure. Decorate the dog's food dish with holly or mistletoe? Uh, no.
It's fairly straightforward. Doesn't take a wise man. Just a little FYI.
Speaking of info, you already know whether your animal tends to eat "people" food. If so, try to keep the fat intake low. Use your own judgement since you know your pet's GI tract. If you want tons more information about animal-related potential holiday hazards, read this article
And now that you know, you're good to go have some holiday fun! Deck those halls, trim those trees, and whatever else you do -- to thine own elf be true.